My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Housing

Well, updating everyone on this unpleasant and anti-climactic situation doesn't give me much pleasure, but I guess I should anyways. Robyn and I trying to get a room on our own went no where, since Student Affairs seemed to show absolutely no interest in or concern for our situation. It was very disconcerting and since we often felt like we had no advocate at Student Affairs, I lost quite a bit of faith in the college. I realize now that Grinnell is a marvelous place when things are going well. I love the students here, the professors, and even the town. But the college administration can be pretty poorly run and uncaring. I talked with my old advisor, V. Brown (who I adore) and her response was "and you had such a bad experience with Student Affairs just dealing with HOUSING. Imagine if you'd gone in after being assaulted or something much more serious." I think she's completely right and I wonder why they can't find more professional, kinder people to work there.

Anyways, once my mom got on the phone, things started falling into place. It really pisses me off the the administration seems to respect parents but not students. I approached them like an adult, and they should have treated me like one. I feel really thankful that I have a mom who a) cares enough, b) is pushy enough and c) has the time to take care of everything.

In the end, it turned out we couldn't live in Russian house. Our options for other housing were: double in "D", recycling room single in Rawson, tiny double in James, or double in Cleveland Pit. Though Cleveland is famous (or should I say infamous) for its smokers, stoners, and grimy-ness (the computer lab and lounge are filled with ashtrays and old beer bottles, giving the whole dorm a very "special" smell), we decided that it was the best option. Our room is small, dark, and smells awful, but hey, its a room.

Robyn and I have been getting along really well and I'm looking forward to living with her. Plus, living with her I have two extra, built-in friends, Russ and Eric, who I really like. We slept in the room last night ( I had to borrow sheets) and it was ok. This afternoon Akili is taking me to storage and then Emma is taking me to Walmart. With my own stuff plus some cloth to make curtains (the old ones smell like smoke) the room should look a little better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Mom has kept me informed...I think it is a very bad error for the college to allow that student to stay within that room!! She'll probably retain it as a single as she doesn't sound like I (or anyone) would enjoy staying with her. Seems like she has abused the rules all the way around! You need your little sewing machine now..sorry, I have it! G' P.S. At least you should be able to cook a meal tonight

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news at last! It sounds like it won't be long before you have your room, polished, well dressed, and smelling a bit better. Probably washing the walls would be the only way to make it smell fresh and I'm guessing you won't want to do that. Now you can begin your life back on campus and direct it more to your liking. Boy am I ever sorry you had to go through all of this. Have a GREAT weekend. Love from A. Margie

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home