My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Friday, January 20, 2006

Last day home

So its back to Grinnell tomorrow, and I'm not particularly looking forward to it. While it will be good to see my friends, I don't feel much pulling me back to the snowy cornfields and difficult classes that are Grinnell. A lot of people I know start wanting to go back to Grinnell the day after they get home on break, but I'm not one of them, and I don't really get this mentality. Do these people not like their families or something? Home is so nice. I love my 10 hours of sleep every night, my beloved cats, hanging out with my parents, and eating delicious food.

A lot of progress has been made this past week about sorting things out for Grinnell. I now have a ride to Grinnell (Akili), a place to live (Russian House with Robyn), and, best of all, MY JOB BACK! Yay!

Today I called my host family for the first time since getting back to the US. I feel kind of bad that I didn't call them earlier, but San Francisco and Chile seem like such separate worlds that its honestly hard for me to remember that I can dial 13 numbers and be connected to my old life in Valparaiso. I don't mean to sound like a complete idiot about the international phone call thing, but I find it really magical that I can be sitting in my chilly American house and talking to Erica while she crushes palta (avocado) for onces (tea time), tells me about the newest babies in the family, and complains about the fierce summer heat in Valparaíso.

So I had a great time talking to them. Erica broke a toe, but its almost better now. She finished her hairdressing class, and is planning a trip to Mendoza (Argentina) before she starts work in her friend's hairsalon, probably in March. Christián is working at the auto repair shop, but he had today off. he said that he was at the beach all day and tonight is going out to Irlandés (a favorite bar)...sigh...I wish I were there! Marjorie is doing great at work and might be up for promotion soon.

It snowed all day today in Grinnell. It should be beautiful, but cold, when I get back. Wish me luck moving back in this weekend!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how nice it is to talk to your family back in Valpo! and, just at the word 'palta'--my mouth is salivating. that, and artichockes, are the two foods i miss most about chile.

so. you should be in grinnell by now. i'm right there with you--not thrilled to be back, but today was better than yesterday, and i imagine the days will keep improving. (or at least that's what my optimistic side says...)

nos vemos por ahi!

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just re-read my comment. i meant that my mouth is watering. or that i'm salivating. but i suppose 'my mouth is salivating' is a unique way to put it.

anyway.

:)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Haha...I got it. Yeah palta and alcachofa are great.

It was sooooooo nice to see you today. Definitely a highlight of an otherwise unpleasant day! We should get lunch together this week.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home