My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Friday, December 09, 2005

Friday Dec 9th

Well my parents got here on Tuesday! Its been a lot of fun. We've been sightseeing, hanging out with my host family, going out for yummy Chilean deserts, and generally taking it easy (lots of siestas) : ) Its been great to see them though slightly weird having them and my host family both under one roof... its a bizarre mixture of Chile and the US, Chilean values vs. US values, Spanish vs English. I'm glad that my parents have gotten to know my host family though. We've had some great meals and some really nice conversations. Today is our last day in Valparaíso...tomorrow, Isla Juan Fernandez!


At La sebastiana, Pablo Neruda's house.


The view from La sebastiana. Later on in the day we took "La O", a bus line that runs through the colorful hills of Valparaíso. It was so beautiful that I wished I'd discovered it earlier on in the semester.


Me having a talk with Pablo.


Ascensor Espiritu Santo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was certainly hoping you would post before you are off to the island. I was just going to ask you about the ascensor when a library patron came into my office. I showed him the picture and told him where you were and he said he'd been there. He explained the ascensor to me. I still don't really "get it". Miniature cable car? Have a safe, smooth flight to J.F. Island! A. Margie

4:34 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Thanks A. Margie! Yeah we're taking lots of dramamine, and if we crash and die I will you my photo collection ; ) Needless to say I'm not looking forward to a 3 hr flight in a plane that just holds 5 people.

The ascensor is a type of funicular, like an elevator. People just use it so they don't exhaust themselves walking up hundreds of flights of stairs from the center of town (where a lot of people do their shopping, work, study), to the hills, where they live.

We just had the nicest supper with Erika, Christian, Marjorie, and Hector. Now we're packing up and trying to head to bed since we have to be on the bus to Santiago at 6 tomorrow morning!

Have a fun weekend : )

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home