My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

Monday, June 19, 2006

Odd cultural moments

*Hearing the Reggeton we used to listen to in Chile playing as I walk home from Pionerskaya Stantsiya
*My host mom explaining to me that the reason they only hire African doormen at the St. Petersburg Chocolate Museum is that they are "chocolate people"
*Seeing endless advertisements on the metro for "FunkyJuz," the "hottest new beverage"...haha I can't even begin to describe how unappetizing this sounds. But I still kinda want to try it.
*the fact that there are almost more Japanese than Russian restaurants in the city. The fact that gospel seems to be the most popular ambient music at Sushi bars...
*Seeing businessmen drinking beer instead of coffee on their commute in to work in the morning
*My host mom telling me that I "eat like a bird" when I've just finished a bowl of soup, two kinds of salad, a main course, two pieces of fruit, tea, juice, and dessert.
*Seeing Russian girls wearing what appear to be prom dresses in all weather and on all occasions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home